Saturday, July 3, 2010

In-between: banana, strawberry, pineapple smoothie

As the summer progresses and the sticky icky humidity rises, I've been looking for different ways to cool down. One is through a deliciously refreshing shake. This recipe is from Rebar, whose recipe book a friend recommended.

What you'll need:
1 banana
5-6 regular sized strawberries (more or less depending on the size)
2 spears of pineapple
1/3 cup soy milk
4 Tablespoon light coconut milk (optional)
ice cubes (optional)

1. Chop banana, strawberries, and pineapple.

2. Put in a blender or juicer, blend/juice.

3. If putting in a blender, you can add 3-4 ice cubes to make the smoothie cooler.

I haven't had a chance to try this with coconut milk and it's still awesome without it. I usually make my smoothies this way, minus the pineapples and trust me - the pineapples makes it a whole new ball game. It adds a different texture and citrus taste to the shake. If you can, make the smoothie from organic fruits - also makes a difference in the taste. Although I must admit, I have yet to see organic pineapples.

Other variations can be: 1 banana, 5 strawberries, 1/3 cup yogurt, 1/3 cup soy milk, 1T honey blended together - a great breakfast to start your day!

If I get organized enough, I'll make some ice cream for the next in-between Tuesday dinner posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment